Sell Downloads System
Dreamweaver Extension for MX and later versions
SDE Sell Downloads System is a system that allows online selling of intangible downloadable items, such as eBooks, music/songs, documents, photos and any other digital product.
Some of the sell downloads system's features:
- Integrated with PayPal - can accept PayPal payments or credit cards via PayPal
- No size limit for files being sold
- Processes payments automatically
- Instantly offers downloads to the buyers
- Sends en email to buyer with the download link
- Allows to specify the maximum allowed time to download
- Allows to specify maximum number of downloads for the same file
- Allows sale of any digital product, without restrictions
- Offers a 100% visual Admin System where products and sales can be managed
- Installation is available within Dreamweaver Menu and also via direct installation by copying the files onto your website
- You must have a PayPal account to directly accept payments from your clients
- Your web server must support PHP scripts
- Your web server must support MySQL databases
Click here to see a video on how the system works.
For each product, the system handles the following data:
- Related File: The file to be sold. If you are selling a product that contains several files, it is recommended to create a ZIP archive containing all the files you wish to be selling as one product.
- Product Name: The name of the product.
- Cost: The cost of the product.
- Currency: The currency in which your items will be sold. Your PayPal account must be set up to automatically accept payments in this currency.
- Language: Language that will be used during the PayPal checkout process.
- Return page: The complete web address (including http://) of the page where the client will be redirected after a successful purchase. Normally, this is a "thank you page" that you should create yourself. This page is only used in case there is a delay with PayPal's payment notification - something that depends only on PayPal. In such cases, the customer is first shown a Thank you page, and will later receive an email with the download link for the purchased item.
- Maximum Downloads: The allowed maximum amount of downloads for each purchased file. We recommend this number to be at least 10 to allow the use of download accelerators.
- Download Time: Link validity - the maximum amount of time to download the product after purchase; we recommend between 2 and 5 days.
- Additional Comments: A field to enter some additional notes, comments, explanations, internal references.
For each sale, the following values will be recorded:
- Product: name of the sold product.
- Amount: amount paid for the product.
- Purchased By: Email of the buyer.
- Purchase Date: Date of the purchase.
- Additional Information: additional information reported by PayPal, which normally includes the name of the buyer, the country of buyer's residence, net amount, PayPal's fee, and other details.
- Tracking ID: Internal ID of the purchase.
Buy Now buttons will be generated automatically from the Admin System, you just need to copy the code and paste it into your webpage.
Please check this video about the use of the product.
You can find more details about the system and configuration in the "Notes" section below.
You can find more about in our Sell Downloads System - FAQ.
The installation is simple and can be realized in a few steps:
- Download the system, unzip it and copy it onto your website, or, if you prefer to use Dreamweaver, doubleclick on the .MXP file, then restart your Dreamweaver.
- In your MySQL, create a database with any name you wish. If you already have a database, you can use it.
- If you are using Dreamweaver, install the system from Menu << Commands << Insert Sell Downloads System and enter the required information.
If you are not using Dreamweaver, then open the file "dsadmin/config.php" and enter the corresponding values in the setup constants:
define ('HDW_HOST', 'localhost'); define ('HDW_DATABASE', 'database_name'); define ('HDW_USERNAME', 'database_user'); define ('HDW_PASSWORD', 'database_password'); define ('HDW_PASS', 'admin_area_password'); define('SELLER_PAYPAL_EMAIL','firstname.lastname@example.org');
The data in red must be replaced by (respectively) the name of the server where the MySQL database is hosted ("localhost" in most cases); the name of the MySQL database; the user name to access the database; the password to access the database; the password that you want to use to access the Administration System and finally the email address that you registered with PayPal to receive payments.
- Copy the files to sell into the folder "/dsadmin/files". It is recommended not to use obvious names for these files, or, as alternative, deactivate downloads from this folder.
- Enter your Admin System (using the password that you specified in the previous step) and add at least one product. The Admin System is loaded by visiting the address of the folder where you copied the system, for example: http://www.your-web-site.com/dsadmin in case you copied the system to the root of your website.
- Through the option "Get Purchase Buttons", copy and paste on your page any of the "Buy Now" buttons you like. From that point on, you are ready to sell!
Editing the email message sent to the client
The email message that is sent to the customer and contains the download link, can be edited in any text editor. It is located in the text file "dsadmin/email_text.txt".
Remotely hosted Sell Downloads Service
Optional alternative: if instead of buying and installing this product on your own servers, you prefer to to use our online service of download sales (in this case there is a limit of 50 MB per product), you can register and try it for free during two days on www.selldownloadseasy.com. Nevertheless, in a longer term, it is more economical to install the service on your own server, and it also removes the file weight limitation.
Optional: If you don't have experience with creating MySQL databases or for any other reason prefer not to do it yourself, we can install the system on your website for an additional fee of US$35.
Our Technical Support team is standing by for any assistance with questions or problems you may have during installation and use. Some PayPal configurations may affect the system of automatic notifications; if any problem arises, you can contact our Tech Support team and we will be happy to assist.